Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Is it worth it?

Posted by Double Y at 12:04 PM
News of a new iPhone have been buzzing since who knows when. And yesterday we all heard the news.. Yes, there is a new hardware and the best part is there is also an update for the software. Yay!!

So how is the new iPhone 3GS different from my iPhone 3G?

Let's see:

1. Cost and HD size: $299 for 32Gb and $199 for 16gb ( now they are selling its predecessor for $99)
2. Better camera with auto-focus and video recording at 3.2 Megapixel where as the old one is at 2.0 megapixel only
3. Built in Compass helps you find directions via google maps.
4. 2x faster performance, updated 3D graphics
5. Cut,copy and paste feature
6. Voice memos which is a recorder app
7. MMS capability
8. Landscape keyboard
9. Hardware looks pretty much the same..


I guess it's not worth it to upgrade after all, at least for me.

Why?
1. I just got my iPhone 3G last December and upgrading means adding another line which I don't need.
2. Camera upgrade is nice, but I don't think I need it, I have my trusty Sony T500 in my purse all the time.
3. The built in Compass sounds promising, but then I still have my Garmin Nuvi which is pretty much handy plus both of our cars has Navi system so an upgrade will be more of a "nice to have" rather than a "need".
4. More space at 32GB? Hmm.. I have an 8gb and honestly, I have not been able to fill it up with stuff.

Bottomline is, I am still happy with my iPhone 3G, Id rather wait for another two years to upgrade. Who knows by then, its going to be Quadband (which some phones are already), dual camera and push to talk features ( which an N80 and other Nokia models have for the longest time),and I whole lot of cool stuff!

I guess Ive outgrown the need (or should I say want) to get the latest phone available in the market. I feel that Apple is now how Nokia was and still is with coming up with new phone models.

by the way,items 5 to 8, are available via software update for iPhone 3G and iPod touch users.. Which made it even more not worth it to upgrade to iPhone 3GS..
 

Double Y's freckles Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei