Wednesday, October 10, 2007

The Innocent Man by John Grisham

Posted by Double Y at 8:15 AM


Ive just finished reading " The Innocent Man" by John Grisham. Ive mentioned in one of my posts that I would only read books from this author. Since I was in my teens, Grisham's books were my only retreat from the real world. I was not allowed to read those romantic, teen novels like " Sweet Valley high". My mom won't let me! She'd rather that I read on pieces about the legal system, women empowerment and mafia stuff than romantic novels. Because of that, I followed all Grisham's novel.

All of his past works were fiction. The Innocent Man is a true story of two men, Ron Williamson and Dennis Fritz, who were convicted of a murder they did not commit. Their convictions were based on coerced confessions and fabricated evidence.They were convicted of raping and murdering a young woman in Oklahama. Ron was sent to death row despite his mental state while Dennis was sentenced to life imprisonment. After 12 years in jail, both men were exonarated.

The story was a bit slow as compared to his past writings. I was waiting for some twists but then I realized that this particular novel is non- fiction! Specially when I saw the photos of Ron Williamson and some of the characters in his novel.


He has always been able to explain the ins and outs of the legal system in all his novels that after you finish reading it, you feel like you just finished a course in Law. This is true for this book.
 

Double Y's freckles Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei